جورج هاردويك

جورج هاردويك

ولد جورج هاردويك في سالتبيرن في الثاني من فبراير عام 1920. ولعب في مركز الظهير الأيسر لساوث بانك. رآه مدير آرسنال ، جورج أليسون ، يلعب لكنه قال له: "لديك الكثير من المهارة والقوة الهائلة لكني أعتقد أنك كبير جدًا في المؤخرة لدرجة أنك لن تجعلك لاعب كرة قدم."

على الرغم من هذه التعليقات ، وقع على ميدلسبره في عام 1936. حصل على 3 10 جنيهات إسترلينية في الأسبوع ، مع مكافأة قدرها 2 جنيهات إسترلينية مقابل اللعب في فوز الفريق الأول. من بين الآخرين في النادي في ذلك الوقت ويلف مانيون ، وجورج كامسيل ، وديف كومينغ ، وبيني يورستون ، وميكي فينتون ، ورالف بيركيت ، وهارولد شبردسون.

ظهر هاردويك لأول مرة في موسم 1937-1938. في الدقيقة الأولى من المباراة ، تمكن هاردويك ، أصغر مدافع في دوري الدرجة الأولى ، من تسجيل هدف في مرماه من ركلته الأولى في الفريق الأول. على الرغم من هذه البداية الرهيبة ، احتفظ بمكانه في الفريق حتى توقفت مسيرته بسبب الحرب العالمية الثانية.

فاز هاردويك بأول مباراة دولية له مع إنجلترا ضد أيرلندا الشمالية في 28 سبتمبر 1946. واحتفظ فرانكلين بمكانه ، ولعب ذلك الموسم ضد جمهورية أيرلندا (1-0) ، ويلز (3-0) ، هولندا (8-2) واسكتلندا (1-1) وفرنسا (3-0) وسويسرا (0-1) والبرتغال (10-0). ضم فريق إنجلترا في ذلك الموسم لاعبين مثل رايش كارتر وتومي لوتون وويلف مانيون وهاري جونستون ونيل فرانكلين ولوري سكوت وتوم فيني وستانلي ماثيوز وستان مورتنسن وبيلي رايت وفرانك سويفت.

احتفظ هاردويك بمكانه في منتخب إنجلترا وفي موسم 1947-48 لعب ضد بلجيكا (5-2) وويلز (3-0) وأيرلندا الشمالية (2-2) والسويد (4-2) واسكتلندا (2) -0). ومع ذلك ، فقد أنهت إصابة خطيرة في الركبة مسيرته الدولية. ومع ذلك ، تمكن هاردويك من استعادة مكانه في فريق ميدلسبره.

في عام 1950 ، انضم هاردويك إلى أولدهام أثليتيك كمدير لاعب. سجل 5 أهداف في 143 مباراة لصالح ميدلسبره. في موسمه الأول ، احتل النادي المركز الخامس عشر في دوري الدرجة الثالثة. صعد أولدهام إلى الدرجة الثانية بعد فوزه بلقب الدوري في موسم 1952-53. ومع ذلك ، انتهى الموسم التالي أولدهام في المركز 22 وهبط. اعتزل هاردويك عام 1955 بعد أن سجل 14 هدفاً في 190 مباراة مع أولدهام.

أصبح هاردويك مديرًا لفريق بي إس في أيندهوفن في عام 1957. وفي وقت لاحق تم تعيينه مسؤولاً عن فريق كرة القدم الوطني الهولندي. كما درب ميدلسبره وتولى تدريب سندرلاند وجيتسهيد.

أصبح مايك ماكولا رئيس مجلس إدارة ميدلسبره في عام 1982. وادعى لاحقًا أن قراره الأول كان منح شهادة لهاردويك وويلف مانيون. "لقد علمت بالعديد من الطلبات الخاصة بها ولم أستطع أبدًا أن أفهم لماذا لم تكن الأولى في قائمة الألعاب التي ستقام. كان ويلف وجورج اثنين من أشهر اللاعبين الذين شاهدهم ميدلسبره على الإطلاق واثنان من أكثر اللاعبين المحبوبين. اللاعبين. "

في 17 مايو 1983 ، أحضر بوبي روبسون المنتخب الإنجليزي الحادي عشر للعب ميدلزبره. وشهدت المباراة حشدًا بلغ 13710 متفرجًا ، أي أكثر بـ 3000 شخص من متوسط ​​بوابة المنزل في ذلك الموسم. قال نائب رئيس لجنة الشهادات تيري جاكسون: "عندما خرج ويلف وجورج أخيرًا قبل المباراة ، كانت الدموع تنهمر على وجنتي. لقد كانت أكبر متعة في حياتي وكل عضو في اللجنة يشعر بنفس الطريقة".

توفي جورج هاردويك في 19 أبريل 2004.

أشعر أن سمعة جورج هاردويك تراجعت بسرعة أكبر مما يستحقه بعد مباراة إنجلترا ضد اسكتلندا في هامبدن بارك في أبريل 1948. حتى ذلك الوقت كان اختيارًا تلقائيًا لبلده ، وقائدًا أيضًا ، لكن الإصابة كلفته بعد ذلك مكانه في جولة اتحاد الكرة ، ولم يستطع العودة إلى الدرجة الدولية.

جورج هو زميل عظيم ، لديه موهبة سعيدة تتمثل في قدرته على تقديم اقتراح للاعب ، حتى للانتقاد ، دون ترك أي مشاعر جريحة وراءه. ربما لم يكن تدخله مميتًا دائمًا مثل واحد أو اثنين من المدافعين الآخرين في وقته ، لكنه كان ولا يزال لاعب كرة قدم من الدرجة الأولى. سواء داخل الملعب أو خارجه ، كان له الفضل في هذه الرياضة.


مقاطعة مونتغومري كنتاكي

هذه من قصاصات الصحف التي ظهرت في عمود الأنساب في Mt. Sterling Advocate ، بقلم هاري دبليو ميلز. ظهر عمود علم الأنساب لهاري دبليو ميلز في الأصل في محامي جبل ستيرلنج في أربعينيات وخمسينيات القرن العشرين.

تم تضمين أول سجلات متاحة تسرد العائلات في جبل ستيرلنج بولاية كنتاكي في تعداد مقاطعة مونتغومري لعام 1810. (تم تدمير تعداد 1800 في كنتاكي عندما أحرق البريطانيون مبنى الكابيتول في واشنطن خلال حرب 1812). يقرأ كتاب 1810 الذي يحتوي على تعداد مقاطعة مونتغومري: "جدول الأشخاص داخل القسم المخصص لهارديج سميث .. وتبدأ قائمة جبل ستيرلنج:" جبل سترلينج ، 30 أغسطس ، 1810. "

عائلات في جبل ستيرلنج ، 1810

في عام 1810 ، كان هناك 40 عائلة مقيمة في جبل ستيرلنج ، وهؤلاء هم "أرباب العائلات".

إجمالي عدد سكان جبل ستيرلينج ، 1810: البيض: ذكور ، 89 إناث ، إجمالي 154 243 ملونًا ، 50 أو أكثر (الأرقام غير مقروءة في كثير من الحالات)

فيما يلي مخططات أنساب مختصرة لبعض العائلات التي يبلغ عددها 1810:

فيرجسون - وليام فيرجسون ، رب أسرة مكونة من ستة ذكور وأنثى. ولد ويليام فيرجسون في ولاية فرجينيا عام 1787. تزوج من سوزانا سميث ، المولودة عام 1789 ، ابنة إينوك سميث (1750-1825) ، وكان من بين أطفالهما ما يلي: (1) فرانكلين فيرجسون ، مواليد 1827 (2) جورج فيرجسون ، مواليد 1830 (3) كريستوفر فيرجسون ، مواليد 1833 (4) إلين فيرجسون ، مواليد 1835. إينوك سميث ، في وصيته ، تم تدقيقه في محكمة مايو ، 1825 ، ابنته سوزانا فيرجسون ، وفرانسيس فيرجسون. كان وليام فيرجسون نجل توماس وبريسيلا (فورد) فيرجسون. كان لديه أخ ، يوشيا فيرجسون ، وأخت سوزانا فيرجسون ، التي تزوجت إسرائيل رايت. (ملاحظة أضافتها بيتي كلاين ماكالب - زوج بريسيلا فورد كان يوشيا فيرغسون. جاء ذلك في وصية والدها ، توماس فورد. أيضًا عندما مات يوشيا فيرغسون ، تسميه مستوطنة ممتلكاته يوشيا. ولديها أيضًا نسخة من رسالة كتبها عمها العظيم الدكتور جوشيا فيرجسون جونز حيث تحدث عن أجداده مثل يوشيا وبريسيلا فيرجسون. ربما تم تسمية يوشيا بتوماس يوشيا لكنها لم تجد أي شيء يثبت ذلك. في شركة فيرفاكس فيرجسون ، ذكر جون فيرغسون الأبناء جون وجوشوا ويوشيا ولكن ليس توما.)

وليامز - كان صموئيل ويليامز رب أسرة مكونة من خمسة ذكور وثلاث إناث. كانت هناك 18 عائلة أخرى تسمى ويليامز مدرجة في تعداد 1810 لمقاطعة مونتغمري. لا مزيد من المعلومات المتاحة عن صامويل ويليامز.

أملاك - استقرت عائلة أوينجز في وقت مبكر في مقاطعتي مونتغمري وباث ولكن لا توجد سجلات أخرى لريتشارد أوينجز متاحة في الوقت الحالي.

فيرجسون - ويليام فيرجسون (1786 - 1869) ابن يوشيا وفرانسيس (سميث) تزوج فيرجسون من سوزانا سميث (1789 - 1878). في عام 1810 ، كان ويليام فيرجسون رئيسًا لعائلة مكونة من 6 ذكور وأنثى واحدة.

الأطفال - كان ويليام تشيلز مهندسًا مدنيًا. كان يمتلك أرضًا كبيرة وتزوج ثلاث مرات ، ونشأ أسرة كبيرة من الأطفال. ولد ابنه ، والتر تشيلز ، في مقاطعة مونتغومري ، وتوفي في فرانكفورت ، بولاية كنتاكي ، وتخرج من كلية ترانسيلفانيا ، وأصبح محامياً بارزاً متزوجاً (1) إليزا برايس ، ولم يتزوج أطفال (2) كارولين ستيث ، ولديهم مشكلة: ماري أ. لاندون سي.

يتذكر الكثير ممن يعيشون الآن اهتمامه الكبير بشؤون المدارس العامة ، حيث كان لاندون تي تشيليز لسنوات عديدة تاجرًا لجبل ستيرلنج ، وتزوج من ماري ميتشل ، وكان أطفالهم من كاري ، وتزوج من الدكتور هوارد فان أنتويرب ريتشارد أ. جبل ستيرلنج آني ، تزوج من إل تي يونغ.

الغلاف - هنري كوفر ، "عائلة" من شخص واحد (الفئة العمرية 26 إلى 45 سنة). ومن ثم نفترض أنه كان عازبًا أو على الأقل بدون عائلة في ذلك الوقت. كانت هناك خزائن في مقاطعات مونتغمري وباث المبكرة.

دوريت - من المحتمل أن يكون بول دوريت عازبًا في عام 1810 ، حيث تم إدراجه في كتاب التعداد باسم "رأس عائلة" لشخص واحد (ذكر ، الفئة العمرية من 26 إلى 45 عامًا). من بين الزيجات التي أجراها القس جون "راكون" سميث في مقاطعة مونتغمري ، زواج بول دوريت وغابرييلا إل بانكس ، في 1 يونيو 1820. حضرة. يسرد والاس غرويل ، في خطابه التاريخي في جبل ستيرلنج ، 1872 ، حكايات عن بول دوريت ، الذي ، كما يقول ، "كان مؤلمًا. كان رجلًا مرحًا ومحبوبًا ومولعًا بنكاته".

هنلي - كان أوزبورن هينلي (هينسلي؟) رب أسرة كبيرة (11 ذكر و 3 إناث) ولكن لا توجد سجلات أخرى في متناول اليد بخصوص هذا الرجل.

ميلز - الدكتور جون أوغسطس ميلز (ولد في ماريلاند حوالي 1780 وتوفي في فولتون ، مقاطعة كالاواي ، ميسوري) ، واستقر في مقاطعة مونتغمري في أيام رائدة ، وكان أحد الأطباء الثلاثة الأوائل في جبل ستيرلنج. بعد ذلك انتقل إلى وينشستر ، مقاطعة كلارك ، كنتاكي ، حيث حقق شهرة. قيل لنا أن لوحة زيتية للطبيب الشهير معلقة في منزل محكمة مقاطعة كلارك. سميت زوجة الدكتور ميل لوسي (اسمها قبل الزواج غير معروف) ، وهي من مواليد ولاية فرجينيا ، تضمنت عائلتها في عام 1810 أربعة أطفال ، لكن أسماء اثنين فقط وصلت إلينا: (أنا) جون ميلز ، المولود في ولاية كنتاكي كاليفورنيا. 1929 لا يوجد سجل آخر. (II) إميلي ميلز ، تزوجت من إيرفين هوكاداي ، ورحلت إلى فولتون ، مو ، في أوقات مبكرة. كان لديهم ثمانية أطفال ، أكبرهم ، لوسي هوكاداي ، تزوج سولوم فان ميتر. كان إيرفين هوكاداي أول كاتب في مقاطعة كالاواي بولاية ميسوري. يخبرنا أحد أحفاد الدكتور ميلز أنه ". عندما تقدم الدكتور ميلز وزوجته في السن ، ذهبت جدتنا ، إميلي هوكاداي ، إلى وينشستر وأعادتهما إلى فولتون بولاية ميسوري. عاشوا حتى وفاتهم ودفنوا في أرض العائلة في فولتون ".

كبير - كان أندرو بيغز رئيسًا لعائلة كبيرة في عام 1810 - 15 ذكرًا و 4 إناث ، أي ما مجموعه 19 شخصًا. ومع ذلك ، نظرًا لأنه كان حارس فندق ، فمن المفترض أن الأشخاص المدرجين في القائمة شملوا الضيوف في مؤسسته بالإضافة إلى أفراد من مجموعة عائلته المباشرة. في خطابه التاريخي الذي ألقاه في جبل ستيرلنج ، 4 يوليو 1872 ، قال القاضي والاس غرويل: "تم تشييد أول حانة في المكان (جبل ستيرلنج) في الزاوية التي يشغلها الآن متجر السلع الجافة التابع لشركة Johnson & amp Thompson. الباني و boniface (كذا). افتتح أندرو بيغز لاحقًا حانة حيث يقع فندق كنتاكي الآن ". ربما كان أندرو بيغز أحد أوائل المستوطنين في مقاطعة مونتغومري ، حيث يظهر اسمه في قائمة الضرائب لعام 1797.

ميركلي - تم إدراج فريدريك ميريكلي في عام 1810 كرئيس لأسرة مكونة من 6 ذكور وأنثى واحدة. إنه غير مدرج في تعداد 1820 لجبل ستيرلنج. لا يوجد سجل آخر.

على الإطلاق - كان ريتشموند إيفريت ، رب أسرة مكونة من 6 أشخاص في عام 1810 ، بلا شك من نفس عائلة صموئيل دي إيفريت المدرجة في جبل ستيرلنج ، 1820. "الرسومات التاريخية" لريد: ". في منزل مجاور للغرب في حانة سيمبسون ، بدأ صموئيل وبيتر إيفريت حياتهم المهنية الناجحة كتجار ".

عروس - Moses Grooms ، رب أسرة مكونة من 6 أفراد في عام 1810 ، مدرج أيضًا في تعداد 1820 لجبل سترلينج. لا يوجد المزيد من السجلات المتاحة.

كيلسو - جاء هيو كيلسو إلى كنتاكي من مقاطعة باث ، فيرجينيا ، واستقر شقيقه ، جون كيلسو ، أيضًا في مقاطعة مونتغمري ، كنتاكي. كانا أبناء جيمس وإليزابيث (سيتلينجتون) كيلسو من مقاطعة باث ، فيرجينيا ، ولديهما أيضًا بنات ، ماري (بولي) كيلسو وإليزابيث (بيتسي) كيلسو. كانت بيتسي كيلسو زوجة توماس هوغارت من مقاطعة باث ، فيرجينيا ، الذي هاجر إلى كنتاكي ، واستقر في مقاطعة باث ، كنتاكي. استقروا في مقاطعة تحمل نفس الاسم في كنتاكي ، وهناك مقاطعتان فقط في الدولة بأكملها تسمى باث - واحدة في فيرجينيا والأخرى في كنتاكي.

MCILVAIN - ضمت عائلة أرشيبالد ماكيلفان 4 ذكور ، وكان جميعهم من البالغين المجاورين جيمس ماكلفان ، مع عائلة مكونة من 2 ذكور و 3 إناث. تزاوج أعضاء عائلة McIlvain مع Banks و McBee (Mockbee) وعائلات مقاطعة Montgomery المبكرة الأخرى.

فايمستر - كان صامويل فيمستر (فييمستر) من جبل ستيرلنج ، 1810 ، سليل عائلة اسكتلندية استقرت في وقت مبكر في مقاطعة باث هايلاند ، فيرجينيا.

هودجز - عائلة ويليام هودجز ، جبل ستيرلنج ، 1810 ، تضم شخصين بالغين وثلاثة أطفال. لا يوجد سجل متاح لاسم زوجته أو الأبناء. أدرجت محاسبة المراجع لـ "قرعة المدينة" في جبل ستيرلنج ، 1797 ، ويليام هوجز (هودجز) كمالك لـ "لوت". يوضح مخطط Gruelle التاريخي لمقاطعة مونتغومري: "قام رجل يدعى هودج ببناء أول مطحنة طحن في الطرف الخلفي من العقار المجاور للكنيسة الميثودية ، المملوكة الآن للدكتور آشبي. كان يديرها بقوة حصان". ربما كان الرجل الذي أقام أول مطحنة طحن هو ويليام هودجز من جبل ستيرلنج ، ومع ذلك ، كان هناك آخرون من الاسم يعيشون في مقاطعة مونتغومري ، أو يمتلكون عقارات هناك ، كما يسرد كتاب المدقق لعام 1797 جون هودجز وأندرو هودج ، أيضًا مثل وليام هودجز.

تومسون - هيو دي طومسون ، رب أسرة مكونة من شخصين بالغين ، ربما كان من نفس عائلة ديفيد أندرسون طومسون الابن ، الذي جاء من فرجينيا إلى كنتاكي في الأيام الأولى واستقر بالقرب من جبل ستيرلنج.

رينغو - هنري رينجولد (رينجو) ، الذي كان يعيش في جبل ستيرلنج في أغسطس 1810 ، كان بلا شك في عائلة هنري رينجو (1724-1802) ، الذي جاء مع أبنائه وبناته السبعة من نيوجيرسي عن طريق فيرجينيا إلى مونتغمري مقاطعة ، كنتاكي ، في الأيام الأولى.

قاس - دانيال ستيف ، الذي يعيش في جبل ستيرلنج ، 1810 ، مع أسرة مكونة من شخصين بالغين وجوزيف ستيف ، رئيس أسرة مكونة من شخصين بالغين وخمسة أطفال ، يعيش في مقاطعة مونتغومري ، كنتاكي ، 1810 ، ربما كانا قريبين من الأقارب. ومع ذلك ، لا توجد معلومات متاحة عن أصلهم ، على الرغم من وجود عائلة بهذا الاسم في مقاطعة ميدلسكس ، فيرجينيا ، بحلول عام 1710. نشأت العائلة في إنجلترا القديمة ، حيث كانت جالسة في ويلتشير في وقت مبكر من القرن الثالث عشر. اللقب Stiff مشتق من الاسم المستعار "The Stiff" ، بمعنى متصلب في الميزة أو عنيد في المزاج. تنص سلطة على أصل الألقاب على أن "حرف العلة كان طويلًا مرة واحدة" أي ، يُنطق باسم Stife ، كما في كلمة Strife.

شيثام - في عام 1810 ، كان ديفيد تشيثام ، وجيمس شيثام ، وجون تشيثام يعيشون في المقاطعة ، وليونارد تشيثام في بلدة ماونت ستيرلنج. يُظهر التعداد الفيدرالي ليونارد تشيتهام رئيسًا لعائلة مكونة من شخصين بالغين و 6 أطفال. (أحد ضباط ميليشيا مقاطعة مونتغومري ، التي أنشأها الحاكم في عام 1798 ، كان إنساين لويس تشيتهام).

فوربوش - في عام 1776 ، كان جيمس فوربوش من أوائل المستوطنين في محطة براينت (في مقاطعة فاييت) وانتقل لاحقًا إلى مقاطعة بروبون. قد تكون جراسي فوربوش ، رب أسرة تعيش في جبل ستيرلنج ، 1810 ، وتتألف من شخص بالغ (أنثى) وطفلين ، أرملة سليل جيمس فوربوش ، الذي جاء إلى مقاطعة مونتغمري قبل عام 1810.

سمبسون - كان جوزيف سيمبسون رب أسرة مكونة من شخصين بالغين و 11 طفلاً في تعداد 1810 لجبل سترلينج. (أحد ضباط فوج مقاطعة مونتغمري للميليشيا ، الذي أنشأه الحاكم في عام 1798 كان الملازم جوزيف سيمبسون. وهذا بلا شك جوزيف سيمبسون الذي ذكره ريد: "تم بناء أول حانة (في جبل ستيرلنج) على الزاوية التي يشغلها الآن متجر Wells and Thompson للبضائع الجافة. كان عبارة عن مبنى خشبي محفور ، مع شرفة ضخمة قديمة الطراز تمتد بطولها بالكامل. كان جوزيف سيمبسون هو الباني والمالك.).

سبيرجن (سبورجين) - من بين أسماء "الزوار والمحددون" التي ذكرها ريد في سرد ​​التاريخ الرائد لمقاطعة مونتغومري صموئيل سبورجون (1779) ، الذي "استقر بالقرب من جبل ستيرلنج مع عائلته في عام 1792". يعيش صموئيل سبورجون في جبل ستيرلنج عام 1810 ، وهو رب أسرة مكونة من شخصين بالغين و 5 أطفال.

فيرت (فيرت) - كان جاكوب فيرت من أوائل المستوطنين في كنتاكي ، وظهر اسمه في سجلات مقاطعة بوربون في وقت مبكر من عام 1790. انتقل لاحقًا إلى مقاطعة مونتغومري ، حيث توفي وصيته ، وتم التحقق منه في محكمة مايو ، 1826 ، وتسمية زوجته. ، كيزيا فيرت ، وأولادهم: (1) آدم فيرت (2) سببر فيرت (متزوج - بليك) (3) بولي فيرت (متزوج - بليك) (4) بيتسي فيرت (متزوج - ويلسون) (5) يعقوب فيرت ( 6) ريبيكا فيرت (متزوجة - ساتون) (7) سالي فيرت (8) ناثانيل فيرت (9) جون فيرت (10) كيزيا فيرت (11) سبب فيرت (12) ويليام فيرت (13) دانيال فيرت.

إنغرام (إنجريم) - عاش توماس إنجريم أو إنجرام في مقاطعة مونتغمري عام 1810 ، عندما كان رئيسًا لأسرة مكونة من 4 أفراد. يمتلك أوريا إنجريم عقارًا واحدًا في مقاطعة مونتغمري ، عام 1797 ، وربما كان من نفس خط العائلة. ظهرت هذه العائلة في سجلات لاحقة لمقاطعات باث ومورغان ، كنتاكي ، وربما عاشت في ذلك الجزء من مونتغمري المبكر الذي تم قطعه لاحقًا لتشكيل باث ومورغان.

كينكيد (كينكيد) - بحلول زمن الحروب الاستعمارية ، كانت هذه العائلة كثيرة جدًا في جنوب غرب فيرجينيا (أوغوستا ، والمقاطعات التي انقطعت عنها ، بما في ذلك جرينبرير ، وباث ، وما إلى ذلك). يسجل التاريخ الرائد لولاية كنتاكي العديد من الأسماء. كان ديفيد كينكيد وجون كينكايد من مالكي العقارات الأوائل في مقاطعة مونتغمري (قائمة ضريبية 1797). يسرد تعداد 1810 لهذه المقاطعة عددًا من العائلات المسماة كينكيد ، بما في ذلك: أرشيبالد كينكيد ، جون كينكيد ، أندرو كينكيد ، أندرو كينكيد جونيور ، توماس كينكيد ، جورج كينكيد وديفيد كينكيد. يبدو أنهم جميعًا عاشوا فيما أصبح مقاطعة باث ، 1811. الزيجات التي قام بها القس جوزيف برايس هاو ، أول قس في كنيسة سبرينغفيلد المشيخية ، مقاطعة باث ، كنتاكي ، تشمل زواج توماس كينكيد وماري براكين ، في 13 مارس ، 1800 جون كالدويل وماري كينكيد في 13 مارس 1800 ، وجيمس جونستون وآن كينكيد في 10 سبتمبر 1810.

ماغوان - James S. Magowan ، مُدرج على أنه رب أسرة مكونة من شخصين بالغين و 5 أطفال. ولد جيمس سترود ماجوان في ولاية فرجينيا عام 1774 ، وهو ابن جيمس ماجوان من مقاطعة بيرليلي بولاية فيرجينيا الواقعة بالقرب من جبل ستيرلنج. كان صاحب أرض كبير. صرح القاضي Gruelle في رسمه التاريخي لجبل ستيرلنج ، أنه "في عام 1809 ، بدأ جيمس ماجوان في إنشاء مدبب صغير على القطعة التي أقيمت عليها محطة السكة الحديد". عمل جيمس س. ماجوان كممثل عن مقاطعة مونتغومري مع ويليام هودجز عام 1808. توفي جيمس سترود ماجوان حوالي عام 1852. ابنه جيمس ب. ما يعرف الآن بمقاطعة باث ، 16 مايو 1806 ، توفيت عام 1871 ، ابنة كوثبرت وإليزابيث مي إيلفين بانكس. الأطفال: (1) آنا إليزا (2) جيمس آسا (3) جون ترابو (4) ويليام كوثبرت. جون ترابو ماجوان ، ابن جيمس ت. وإليزا (بانكس) ماجوان ، ولد عام 1834 وتوفي عام 1909 ، ولد وعاش وتوفي في مقاطعة مونتغومري. في عام 1872 ، تزوج من إميلي ج. جاتوود. الأطفال: (1) جيمس ر. (2) ماري .

هايتون - التعداد الفيدرالي لعام 1810 ، يُظهر جوشيا هييتون مدرجًا مع ذكر بالغ واحد ، الفئة العمرية 45 عامًا زائد في الأسرة. ومن ثم يفترض أنه كان رجلاً مسنًا بلا أسرة يعيش بمفرده. لا يوجد معلومات اخرى متوفرة. (كان هناك اسم جون هيتون ، وهو اسم مشابه في قائمة الضرائب لعام 1797 لمقاطعة مونتغومري).

ماكفيرين - كان جون ماكفيرين رئيسًا لأسرة مكونة من شخصين بالغين و 5 أطفال ، تعيش في جبل ستيرلنج ، 1810. لا توجد معلومات متاحة في الوقت الحالي عن أسماء زوجة وأطفال جون ماكفيرين ولكن من بين الزيجات التي قام بها القس جون سميث ، في مقاطعة مونتغومري هم كالتالي: جوناثان ماكفيرين وريبيكا هاربر ، 13 أكتوبر 1818 ديلينجهام وارد وسوزان ماكفيرين ، 26 نوفمبر 1818 وآرون ماكفيرين وإليزابيث مونتغمري ، 13 أبريل 1830. عائلة ماكفيرين هي عائلة قديمة من تأتي فرجينيا ، وأحد أفراد العائلة من مقاطعة يورك ، فيرجينيا ، إلى مقاطعة لينكولن في كنتاكي ، في أيام الرواد الأولى. ربما كان جون ماكفيرين من جبل ستيرلنج من نفس العائلة.

ريشة - كان أندرو فيذرشي رب أسرة مكونة من شخصين بالغين و 8 أطفال ، ويعيش في جبل ستيرلينغ 1810. (لا توجد معلومات إضافية)

وايت ليدج - كان روبرت ويتليدج عضوًا في الحفلة الاستكشافية الأولى في ربيع عام 1775 ، ولكن من الواضح أنه لم يستقر في مقاطعة مونتغمري. تم العثور على اسم روبرت ويتليدج في عريضة مقدمة إلى جمعية فرجينيا من قبل ". عدد متنوع من سكان مقاطعة بوربون" بتاريخ 27 أكتوبر 1788. وقد تم وصف الملتمسين بأنهم "يعيشون بالقرب من دار القضاء وفي ليكينج كريك". نستنتج أن روبرت ويتليدج يقع بالقرب من بلدة هوبويل (الآن باريس ، مقاطعة بوربون). في مقاطعة بوربون في وقت مبكر كان توماس ويتليدج وجون ويتليدج ، الإخوة وروبرت ويتليدج على الأرجح من نفس العائلة.

جودي - جون جودي وآخرون "خرجوا من فيرجينيا عام 1779 وألفوا مستعمرة البيض الصغيرة التي استقرت في البداية مقاطعة مونتغومري". جاءت عائلة جودي (تشودي) من سويسرا إلى أمريكا في الأيام الأولى واستقرت أولاً في ولاية بنسلفانيا لاحقًا ، وتم نقل أفرادها إلى فرجينيا وكنتاكي.

توماس - تم تسمية موسى توماس كعضو في المستعمرة الصغيرة التي "استقرت مقاطعة مونتغومري أولاً". تم ذكر أحد بنيامين توماس في سجلات مقاطعة مونتغومري المبكرة: في 7 نوفمبر 1803 ، أعطى ويذرز سميث من مقاطعة بوربون توكيلًا رسميًا لبنيامين توماس من مونتغمري ، "لتقسيم الأرض التي أملكها أنا وأخي جورج سميث". توفي بنجامين توماس "في فبراير 1813 تقريبًا ، تاركًا سيبتكر الأرض لبنيامين فرانكلين توماس وواشنطن توماس ، تحت السن ، الذي كان جيمس فرينش وصيًا عليه.

حزين - وليام ساد ، وهو شخص آخر "خرج من فرجينيا عام 1779" ، ربما يكون قد عثر في مكان آخر ولم يتم العثور على أي سجل آخر في مقاطعة مونتغومري.

أبيض - تم تسمية بنيامين وايت من بين أوائل "الزوار والمحددون". من المحتمل أنه كان "زائرًا" بدلاً من "محدد موقع" حيث لم يتم العثور على مزيد من المعلومات بشأنه. كان أكويلا وايت من أوائل المستوطنين في مقاطعة مونتغومري (ملاحظة مكتوبة بخط اليد: أ. دبليو القس سولدجر) ، الذي جاء إلى كنتاكي في عام 1779 ، وموقعه أولاً في بونسبورو انتقل لاحقًا إلى مقاطعة مونتغمري. كان في الثورة الأمريكية حيث خدم كقائد في خط بنسلفانيا. هو مدرج في قائمة المعاشات التقاعدية لعام 1835 ، من سكان مقاطعة مونتغومري وعمره 89 عامًا.

أندرسون - كان نيكولاس أندرسون من أوائل "الزوار والمحددون" في مقاطعة مونتغومري. تم إثبات إرادة نيكولاس أندرسون بعدم الاحتراف من خلال قسم ديفيد برادشو في محكمة ديسمبر 1823 ، مقاطعة مونتغمري. تم ذكر زوجته وراشيل وأطفاله (ولكن لم يتم ذكر أسماء الأطفال). كان هناك عدد كبير من الرجال الذين يُدعون أندرسون في السجلات المبكرة لمقاطعة مونتغومري ، والذين ربما يكونون من نسل أو من نفس الفرع مثل نيكولاس أندرسون ، لكن يكفي البيانات ليست في متناول اليد لتحديد هؤلاء الأشخاص وترتيب رسم بياني للأنساب.

POAGE - واحد آخر من "الزوار ومحددو المواقع" الأوائل كان جيمس بواج. في 17 ديسمبر 1796 ، أصدر الحاكم جيمس جارارد تكليفات إلى قضاة أول جلسات محكمة ربع سنوية لمقاطعة مونتغومري المنشأة حديثًا ، وكان أحد القضاة يدعى جيمس بواج. في وقت مبكر من عام 1798 ، قام الحاكم بتسريح فوج من الميليشيا لمقاطعة مونتغمري الجديدة. عين اللفتنانت كولونيل والقائد ، جيمس بواج. تُظهر قوائم ضريبة مقاطعة مونتغومري ، 1797 ، أن جيمس بواج كان مالكًا لـ 1106 فدانًا من الأراضي. لم يتم العثور على سجلات الأنساب.

سبيرجين - صموئيل سبورجين ، من بين الزوار الأوائل ومحددو المواقع ولم يسجل أي سجل آخر. (مذكرة بينية: فاتورة البيع - التركة - 1838)

تيرلي - جاء جيمس تورلي من مقاطعة كولبيبر بولاية فيرجينيا بالقرب من جبل ستيرلنج بولاية كنتاكي قبل إنشاء مقاطعة مونتغمري. تُظهر القوائم الضريبية الأولى للمقاطعة الجديدة ، 1797 ، أسماء جيمس تورلي ولوينارد تورلي. يسرد تعداد الولايات المتحدة لعام 1810 اسم ليونارد تورلي كرئيس لعائلة تتكون من 5 ذكور و 3 إناث ، ومع ذلك ، لا يوجد سجل لجيمس تورلي في هذا الوقت ، ومن ثم يُفترض أنه توفي أو انتقل إلى مكان آخر. (وُلد جيمس تورلي حوالي عام 1762 ، وكان جنديًا ثوريًا يعيش في مقاطعة سانجامون ، إلينوي ، بحلول عام 1835 ، عندما تم إدراجه كمتقاعد ، وكان عمره 72 عامًا). السلاحف الأخرى التي تم العثور عليها في سجلات مقاطعة مونتغومري المبكرة هي بلا شك من نسل الرواد ، ومع ذلك ، لدينا سجل محدد لطفل واحد فقط من جيمس تورلي ، قاضي السلام. كان توماس جيه تورلي ، المولود في مقاطعة مونتغومري ، الذي انتقل في عام 1830 إلى مقاطعة جالاتين ، كنتاكي. تزوج آرتي ليلارد ، ابنة القس ديفيد ليلارد ، وهو قسيس معمداني مبكر من ولاية كنتاكي. يبدو أن ليونارد تورلي عاش في ذلك الجزء من مونتغمري الذي أصبح فيما بعد مقاطعة باث.

روبنسون - يبدو أنه كان هناك أكثر من فرع واحد من عائلة روبنسون في مقاطعة مونتغومري أيامًا رائدة. في المرحلة الحالية من تحقيقنا ، من المستحيل تحديد وترتيب السجلات المتاحة لتلك التي تحمل الاسم في مقاطعة مونتغمري المبكرة.

هيغ - كان ديفيد هيوز ، أحد أوائل قضاة صلح مونتغمري ، مالكًا كبيرًا للأراضي في المقاطعة الجديدة ، كما يتضح من قوائم الضرائب لعام 1797. كان جيمس هيوز أيضًا أحد مالكي الأراضي الأوائل. كان جون هيوز عضوًا مستأجرًا في كنيسة سبرينغفيلد المشيخية القديمة ، مقاطعة مونتغومري (لاحقًا باث). (بينيد في الهامش: جون هيوز إم بولي باترسون - 9 نوفمبر 1809)

روزنبورو - ربما يكون ويليام روزنبورو ، قاضي السلام ، مقاطعة مونتغومري ، 1797 ، قد أزال في مكان آخر أو ربما أقام في جزء من المقاطعة الذي سرعان ما تم عزله عن مقاطعة مونتغمري. لا سجلات.

هاردويك - ولد جون هاردويك (أو هاردويك) ، الأب ، قاضي السلام ، مقاطعة مونتغومري ، كنتاكي ، في ولاية فرجينيا ، حوالي عام 1714 تم نقله من مقاطعة بيدفورد ، فيرجينيا إلى كنتاكي بعد الثورة الأمريكية بفترة وجيزة ، واسمه من بين السجلات من مقاطعة فاييت ، كنتاكي ، بحلول عام 1790. تظهر قوائم الضرائب لعام 1797 ، مقاطعة مونتغومري ، أسماء جون هاردويك ، سنر. جون هاردويك ، جونر. تزوج جورج هاردويك الأب الأول ، ملكة جمال فينابل الثانية ، دوركاس بوش من فيرجينيا.

كولفين - أصدر الحاكم جيمس جيرارد في 17 ديسمبر 1796 لجانًا للرجال المعينين كقضاة صلح لمقاطعة مونتغومري الجديدة (التي تم تأسيسها بموجب قانون صادر عن الهيئة التشريعية في كنتاكي تمت الموافقة عليه في 14 ديسمبر 1796 ، ليصبح ساريًا في 1 مارس 1797. ). كان جوزيف كولفين من بين أولئك الذين تم تسميتهم كقضاة صلح.

ربما عاش جوزيف كولفين هذا في جزء من مقاطعة مونتغمري التي تم قطعها لاحقًا لتشكيل مقاطعات أخرى ، أو أزال في مكان آخر. (كان هناك جوزيف كولفين الذي استقر في مقاطعة لينكولن ، كنتاكي ، في وقت مبكر). لعدة سنوات ، يبدو أن هناك جهدًا كبيرًا من قبل الأحفاد لإكمال تاريخ عائلة كولفين وظهر عدد من الاستفسارات في المنشورات وتم تقديمها من أماكن مختلفة ، بحثًا عن بيانات عن المستوطنين الأوائل لاسم كولفين في فرجينيا و كنتاكي. طلب أحد الاستفسارات المطبوعة في ورقة تاريخية معلومات عن أحد جوزيف كولفين ، الذي قيل أنه مرتبط بعائلات أندرسون ، تريمبل ألين التي جاءت من مقاطعة أوغوستا ، فيرجينيا ، إلى كنتاكي في أيام رائدة واستقرت في كنتاكي ، بما في ذلك مقاطعة فاييت.

على أمل الحصول على بعض المساعدة الصغيرة لأي شخص يسعى للحصول على معلومات عن التاريخ المبكر لعائلة كولفين ، يتم تقديم الملاحظات التالية ، التي جمعها الكاتب على مدى عشرات السنين:

يقال إن عائلة كولفين أتت من إنجلترا إلى أمريكا حوالي عام 1744. يبدو أن هذا التقليد العائلي يتناسب مع العنصر التالي ، من كتاب فوت تاريخ فرجينيا: حوالي عام 1735 ، رحل ويليام هوج من بنسلفانيا واستقر في أوبيكون ، ثلاثة أميال جنوب وينشستر ، فيرجينيا .. يقف أوبيكون بيت الاجتماعات على قطعة الأرض هذه. عائلات فانس ، ألين ، كولفين ، وايت. وانضم إليه آخرون وشكلوا جماعة أوبيكون ، أقدم غرب بلو ريدج. (كانت عائلة فانس عائلة مبكرة من الإيمان المشيخي في مقاطعة فريدريك بولاية فرجينيا).

في تاريخ فريدريك مورتون في وينشستر ، فيرجينيا ، في الكاتب [كذا] ، توجد نسخة من وثيقة قديمة تتعلق بتخطيط القرعة لمدينة وينشستر. من بين الأسماء المذكورة ، ماركيز كاليمز ، أندرو كامبل ، مارجان مورغان ، جون وايت ، وديفيد فانس - جميع الأسماء ممثلة بين عائلات كنتاكي المبكرة. التاريخ هو 21 مارس 1744 (تقويم نمط جديد).

من مسار آخر ، علمنا أن أندرو فانس ، الذي جاء من أيرلندا إلى أمريكا حوالي عام 1700 ، واستقر في أوبيكون كريك ، مقاطعة فريدريك بولاية فيرجينيا ، في عام 1735 ، تزوج من إليزابيث كولفين.

قبل وقت طويل من حرب الثورة ، استقر أفراد من عائلة كولفين في مقاطعة كولبيبر بولاية فيرجينيا.

وُلد جوسبيه كولفين ، ابن تشارلز كولفين ، في مقاطعة كولبيبر بولاية فيرجينيا عام 1778 ، وجاء مع والديه إلى كنتاكي. تزوج من نانسي تورنر ، ابنة ستيفن وماري تورنر. ولد ابنهما أرميستيد كولفين بالقرب من لانكستر بولاية كنتاكي في 23 أبريل 1807 وتوفي في إنديانا عام 1872 وتزوج في مقاطعة جارارد بولاية كنتاكي في 4 أبريل 1809 وليانا ويلسون ابنة ويليام ونانسي (بانكس) ويلسون .

تم تشكيل مقاطعة مونتغومري من جزء من مقاطعة كلارك بموجب قانون صادر عن الهيئة التشريعية في كنتاكي الذي تمت الموافقة عليه في 14 ديسمبر 1796 ، ليصبح ساريًا في 1 مارس 1797. وفي 8 فبراير 1798 ، قام الحاكم بتسريح فوج جديد من الميليشيات ، باعتباره الحادية والثلاثون ، ليتم ضمهم إلى مقاطعة مونتغومري وتعيينهم جيمس بواج ، المقدم كولونيل كوماند ، وأندرو سويرينجن ، رائد الكتيبة الأولى ، وصمويل داونينج ، رائد الكتيبة الثانية. (تم تسمية ضباط آخرين مفوضين لهذا الفوج من الميليشيا). (من أرشيف كنتاكي.)

POAGE - تم اختيار جيمس بواج من بين المستكشفين الأوائل لما يُعرف الآن بمقاطعة مونتغومري ، ويقال إنه استقر بالقرب من جبل ستيرلينغ في عام 1792 ، وقد تم تعيينه قاضيًا في محكمة الجلسات الربع سنوية لمقاطعة مونتغمري الجديدة. قوائم الضرائب ، 1797 ، بصفته مالكًا كبيرًا للأرض ، وتم تعيينه قائدًا للفوج الأول للميليشيا في مقاطعة مونتغومري. لسوء الحظ ، لا يتوفر أي سجل آخر لجيمس بواج في هذه المقاطعة ، ومع ذلك ، قد تكون بعض الملاحظات حول العائلة في كنتاكي وفيرجينيا ذات أهمية: عاش ويليام بواج في هارودسبيرج من 1776 إلى 1778 كان رجلاً بارعًا ، وصنع كل الدلاء ، دلاء الحليب والأحواض والأوعية التي يستخدمها أهل الحصن. تزوجت أرملته من جوزيف ليندسي عام 1781 ، وبعد عدة سنوات تزوجت من جيمس ماكجينتي. (تاريخ كولينز في كنتاكي). في عام 1739 ، جاء شقيقان ، جون وروبرت بواج ، إلى أمريكا وهبطوا في فيلادلفيا ، ثم ذهبوا لاحقًا إلى فيرجينيا. تزوج روبرت بواج من أطفال إليزابيث بريستون: مارجريت ، جون ، مارثا ، سارة ، جورج ، ماري ، ويليام ، إليزابيث ، روبرت ، توماس. كان روبرت بواج من أوائل شيوخ كنيسة أولد ستون في مقاطعة أوغوستا بولاية فيرجينيا. تزوج جون بواج ، ابن روبرت ، الأب من أطفال جان سومرز: جون وجريس ومارثا وروبرت وويليام وآن وجيمس وجوناثان وتوماس وريبيكا. من بين ضباط ميليشيا فرجينيا في مقاطعة أوغستا في الحرب الثورية جيمس بواج ، الملازم جون بواج ، إنساين وجورج بواج ، النقيب.

كانت هناك أيضًا عائلة واحدة ملونة من "فري توم" عاشت في ماونت ستيرلنج ، كنتاكي ، في وقت التعداد الفيدرالي للتعداد لعام 1810.

حقوق النشر ونسخ مسارات الأنساب
جميع البيانات الموجودة على هذا الموقع محمية بحقوق الطبع والنشر لشركة Genealogy Trails
مع جميع الحقوق محفوظة لمقدمي المحتوى الأصليين.


جورج هاردويك

إذا كان جورج هاردويك هو الشخص الذي كنت تبحث عنه ، فقد تتمكن من اكتشاف المزيد عنهم من خلال الاطلاع على صفحة الموارد الخاصة بنا.

إذا كان لديك المزيد من الصيد ، فجرّب بحثًا جديدًا أو تصفح سجلات المحكوم عليهم.

Know more about George Hardwick?

Community Contributions

Fiona Irwin on 15th July, 2020 wrote:

George Hardwick was born in 1810 to parents John and his wife Ann. George grew up in Ashbocking, a small town in the Parish of Ipswich, in the rural County of Suffolk in England. George was one of five surviving children with three siblings having died during their childhood: John born in 1804 died in 1811 Martin born in 1807 died in 1818 and Maria born in 1812 died in 1825.
In 1838, when George came in contact with the law for the first time for the offence of stealing fowls, he was already married to Amy with a daughter Cecilia and had another child on the way. Their son, George William Hardwick, was born in the second half of 1838. In 1840 when George was apprehended for the second time, he had a further child on the way and Miriam was born in 1840.
For his second offence George was sentenced for 7 years transportation for stealing lead from a Church Yard, and he was held at the gaol at Ipswich from 4 July to 14 July 1840 before being transferred to the prison hulk Warrior which was moored off Woolwich and at Chatham on the Thames.
After spending just over 20 months on board the Warrior, George who was found to be in good health was gathered up in leg irons with 279 convicts and transported to Van Diemen’s Land on the Eden which departed Woolwich on 12 March in 1842. For a male convict born in 1810, George’s height measured in 1842 of 70.5 inches was approximately 4.5 inches above the average height of convict men who had grown up in the rural areas of Great Britain. When George was transported on the Eden he was leaving behind his wife Amy and Cecilia, his seven year-old-daughter.
The Eden was under the command of Lieutenant Gordon, 29 rank and file of the 99th regiment with the ship’s crew and also four women and three children were on board. Eden’s surgeon, Mr Alexander Neill, indicated in the general remarks section of his daily sick book journal that the general appearance of the convicts was favourable, however, several had been affected by confinement and diet in the hulks and two were returned.
By 8 June Neill had written in the journal that serious health problems had arisen during the voyage when they encountered a huge storm off the Island of Amsterdam. During the storm the Eden was damaged, tarpaulins had washed off the hatchways and forty convicts in the prison and their bedding had been drenched by seawater. A week later Neill had noted the air in the prison and in the hospital had become ‘truly oppressive’. He continued to add in his journal the weather remained stormy from 8 June until the day of arrival in Van Diemen’s Land.
Fortunately, George Hardwick’s name did not appear in the journal but many of his fellow transportees were struck down by injury or ill health. The life-threatening diseases on Eden’s voyage were related to scurvy and consumption, an old term for what we now know is tuberculosis and Neill also noted one of the convict’s underlying health condition of syphilis had greatly reduced his capacity to overcome scurvy.
According to the journal, 20 percent of the convicts required medical treatment for illness or injury. In total Neill treated fifteen soldiers, four sailors, one of the children (a boy) and fifty-five convicts. Convicts Jonathan Brown aged 49 and John Kaye aged 55 had chronic illnesses diagnosed and had been hospitalised prior to the voyage and they made up two of the four deaths attributed to the later stages of scurvy (scorbutic dysentery). Given their age and their previous health problems it is surprising that Kaye and Brown had been selected fit for travel. The fifth convict death was due to tuberculosis.
After 105 days the Eden arrived in Van Diemen’s Land on 5 July 1842, and George was sent on 13 July to the Salt Water Creek Probation Station for a twelve-month period during which time his health remained good as was his conduct. Before he received his ticket of leave on 17 January 1846 he worked as a labourer in Brighton and in Glenorchy. By 1849 when he had received his freedom, George had settled in the Derwent Valley and he continued his trade of bootmaker.
Though George’s wife and daughter did not join him, he went on to cohabitate and have four children with Elizabeth Purdon until 1854 when Elizabeth died in childbirth. He then married Mary Cary in Richmond in 1855 and went on to have 6 more children. Of the ten children born, only one died in infancy.
George, however, did have a further brush with the law and in 1853 a charge of larceny that was brought against him was said to have been ‘ignored’. Perhaps George’s prosperity was underpinned by his good health, farming and labouring knowledge and skills that were in demand, he had settled in Brighton in the Derwent Valley, an area known for its fertile soils, and was able to successfully farm the land whilst still plying his trade as a bootmaker. And after his brush with the law in 1853 he was able stay on the right side of the law. George was able to live on until an old age and he died on 9 October 1889 in Brighton in his 79th year.
Many thanks to the Hardwick family for lending me their family history resources.

Convict Changes History

Fiona Irwin on 15th July, 2020 made the following changes:

date of birth: 1810 (prev. 0000), date of death: 9th October, 1889 (prev. 0000), occupation, crime


The southernmost part of the town of Hardwick along the Ware River featured a covered bridge, corn mill, saw mill, coal house, forge, and a scattering of residences by 1772. 1 A new furnace was erected by 1815 under the management of Col. Thomas Wheeler and Lemuel Harrington at which point the area became known as New Furnace. For a brief period between 1832 and the 1840s, a paper mill was located along the river.

Seeking to expand his woolen manufacturing lines in Ware, industrialist George Gilbert of the George Gilbert Manufacturing Company purchased land along the Ware River in the late 1850s. 1

Gilbert moved to Ware in 1841 and in partnership with Charles A. Stevens, purchased the former Hampshire Manufacturing Company. 1 It produced bread cloths, and later flannels. The company added a stone mill in 1846 which specialized in white and opera flannels. After the partnership dissolved in 1851, Gilbert’s nephew, Lewis N. Gilbert, joined him and was made a full partner in the George H. Gilbert & Company in 1857. In 1867, the company became known as the George H. Gilbert Manufacturing Company.

With demand outpacing supply, Gilbert sought ample land to expand. The first mill in New Furnace, Mill No. 1, was constructed in 1860 and was producing worsteds and flannels by 1862. 1 Mill No. 2 was added in 1863, followed by Mill No. 3 in 1864 and Mill No. 4 in 1867. A major addition was made to Mill No. 1 in 1883.

The mills were originally powered by the force of a canal via the Ware River, which was augmented by a coal-fired power plant in 1912. 1

By the early 20th century, the wool industry began to move to the South, and companies that remained did not invest in technological improvements to their production lines. The Gilbert Manufacturing Company mills operated at far less than capacity and Mill No. 3 was torn down in 1916.

Vested through powers granted from a legislative act in 1926, the Metropolitan Water Supply Commission began diverting floodwaters from the Ware River at Coldbrook in March 1931 to serve as a water supply for the city of Worcester. 4 The damming of the river lessened both the quantity and quality of the water to the point that it was no longer suitable for washing and treating the woolen cloth it manufactured nor was there enough water power to support the mills. The trial, the longest ever in the Hampshire County courts at 28 days, resulted in a favorable judgment for the company in January 1934, whereas it was awarded $305,708 in damages—but by that point, the company and its assets had been sold to a group of outside investors for $119,000. 1 It continued to operate at low levels of production before the facilities were severely damaged by a hurricane in 1938.

After the hurricane, the Sugarman Company of Coatesville, Pennsylvania was retained to liquidate the company holdings, a process that continued into the 1940s. 1 Mill No. 2 was dismantled and sold for salvage in the late 1940s while others were largely vacated. During the 1950s, Mill No. 1 was used by the William Carter Company to produce women’s and children’s clothing, complimenting its other mills in Springfield, Barnesville and Forsythe, Georgia and Senatobia, Mississippi. 2 3 Mill No. 4 was acquired by the Salem family and used as the Gilbertville Storage Company. 5

Company Town

The Gilbert Manufacturing Company constructed a small company-owned village that consisted of: 1

  • The c. 1863 Gilbertville Hall, a three-story mansard-roofed structure with a hall on the upper floors and a retail store on the lower level
  • The c. 1912 Gilbertville Public Library funded by Col. Edward H. Gilbert and designed in the Classical Revival style
  • The c. 1883 Gilbertville Union Hall that included a skating rink
  • The c. 1874 St. Aloysius Church, a stone Gothic Revival style facility constructed at the cost of $50,000, the result of a bequest of George Gilbert’s will in 1869 and augmented by substantial family and company gifts. A chapel and parsonage were added c. 1884. Prior to the completion of the church, the congregation met in the Hall.
  • A c. 1870 store operated by the Hitchcock family with a boardinghouse above on south Main Street
  • A c. 1870 school at the corner of High and Highland Streets. It was replaced with an elementary school in 1903 and a high school in 1910, both designed by E.C. and G.C. Gardner. The high school was relocated from Hardwick Center.
  • A passenger depot, freight station, and warehouse along the Ware River Railroad, which later became the Central Massachusetts Railroad
  • A c. 1882 bandstand
  • Approximately 69 multi-family residences, 186 tenements, and nine single-family structures.

The village of Gilbertville was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.


تاريخ

Hardwick Estate has a long and fascinating history including a role in the English civil war, and as one of the inspirations for Wind in the Willows.

At the time of the Battle of Hastings in 1066, Hardwick and its lands were owned by Wigod, the Saxon Lord of Wallingford. The Doomsday book records a dwelling on the current location of Hardwick House, whose cellars are believed to originate from this era.

1842 drawing of Hardwick House

In the thirteenth century, the house and grounds passed into the hands of a Norman French family called the de Hardwicks, and in 1527 the Estate was purchased by Richard Lybbe, a wealthy landowner with links to the royal family, who built the Elizabethan manor – Hardwick House. The family’s royal connection made them a target for Oliver Cromwell’s republican army during the civil war, and Hardwick was attacked and ransacked. Later, when King Charles I was imprisoned in Oxford he visited Hardwick to drink ale and play bowls on a green on the Estate.

Sir Charles Day Rose bought the Estate in 1909, having rented it since 1871 after the Lybbe Powys’s fell on hard times. He was a banker, sportsman and Liberal politician thought to be the inspiration for the character Mr Toad in Wind in the Willows, which was written by his banking contemporary Kenneth Grahame who lived in Pangbourne. As Liberal Member of Parliament for Newmarket and Cambridge he became a supporter of David Lloyd George’s ‘people’s budget’, advocating redistribution of land, and abolition of the House of Lords. The enormous wealth which he amassed via mining and railway investments in North America, India and Africa was spent on his passion for sports. At Hardwick he built a race horse breeding stud farm which turned out several Derby winners, and two Real Tennis courts, one of which is still an active club. He was also a pioneering motorist, yachtsman and aviator.

The Rose family continue to own and manage the Estate to this day. In the 1950s and 60s Sir Charles Rose placed emphasis on Hardwick’s forestry, and it became one of the first English woodlands to experiment with planting Thuja Plicata (Western Red Cedar), alongside high grade Beech for furniture making, winning several awards.

In 1975 the farmland was converted to organic status by Sir Julian Rose, the present Estate owner, and his mother Phoebe, and by 1983 Julian was running a thriving organic mixed family farm including a Guernsey dairy herd producing unpasteurised milk, as well as beef, woodland pigs, sheep, chickens, and arable. An award winning farm shop was established at Path Hill selling produce from the farm and its neighbours, and the raw milk, cream and bacon won national awards on a number of occasions. The now renowned horticulturalist Iain Tolhurst and his family took over the Estate’s historic market garden at the same time, producing high quality organic veg. Sadly, increasing government regulation, supermarket dominance, as well as the BSE and foot and mouth crises put the farm shop out of business, and Julian instead focused his energy on campaigning to save what he calls ‘Real Food’ and the family farms that produce it, from the forces of mechanisation and corporate agriculture.

The Old Dairy Farm Shop and farm events in the 1990s

There are several books and films with more information on Hardwick’s vivid history:

The Real Mr Toad: Merchant Venturer and Radical in the Age of Gold by Michael Redley is a mini biography of Sir Charles Day Rose documenting his role in shaking up Edwardian society, as well as the sadness and intrigue in his private life.

The booklet is available from the Bell Bookshop in Henley, Garlands in Pangbourne, and the Hardwick Estate Office for £7.

William Barefield Hutt, whose family lived and worked on the Estate from around 1900 until the 1970s, wrote a series of memoirs including Hardwick, which details his family’s experiences working for Sir Charles Day Rose as well as latterly. It can be purchased from the Whitchurch and Goring Heath History Society for £8.


George Hardwick history under the hammer

MAJOR Boro items of huge historic significance will come under the hammer next month.

MAJOR Boro items of huge historic significance will come under the hammer next month.

They come from Boro legend’s George Hardwick extensive and remarkable collection of rare and elusive artefacts.

The Hardwick material is going up for sale at the Mullock’s Ltd Football Auction at Ludlow Racecourse on July 7.

The remarkable collection includes the unique Great Britain shirt which George wore when he skippered the four nations in the 1947 match against the Rest of Europe to celebrate the return of peace to the continent.

The shirt has been on display at the Riverside Stadium for a few years.

The auction collection also includes nine of George’s international caps, plus an England blazer and an autographed 1950s England shirt.

Keith Hartwell from Mullock’s said: “We are delighted to be able to include George Hardwick’s collection in our football auction next month.

“The items available form the extensive part of all of George’s memorabilia. I am sure there will be a great deal of interest.”

Saltburn-born George, whose outstanding career is commemorated by a statue outside the Riverside, was a Boro player from 1937 to 1950.

He played 166 games for the club, most of them at left-back, though he lost seven years of his career because of the Second World War, when he served in the RAF.

He captained England in all 13 of his post-war international appearances, with the Great Britain captaincy being his greatest honour.

George went on to manage Oldham Athletic, coached in Germany and Holland, and later managed Sunderland, where he gave Brian Clough his first coaching role.

Hardwick was a regular attender at Boro home games until his death in 2004, at the age of 84.

Some of the extremely collectable items in the Mullock’s auction include junior medals which George was awarded when he was a teenager with South Bank East End.

The nine international caps include his first one, which came in a 7-2 victory against Northern Ireland in season 1946-47.

In addition to the shirt which George wore against the Rest of Europe, when he played at right-back, there is also an inscripted silver plaque from the match.

Another rare item is the winner’s medal which George received when he was player-manager of Oldham Athletic when they won the Division Three North Championship in 1953.

One of the last medals George received is also included in the auction.

It is the Football League 100 Legends gold medal which he was awarded in 1999, when the Football League celebrated the start of the 100th season of league football.

Mullock’s are based in Church Stretton in Shropshire. Further information is available from mullocksauctions.co.uk

Meanwhile, Boro forward Oliver Norris has died in Australia at the age of 82 after a long illness.

Derry-born Oliver came to Teesside as a 17-year-old in 1948 after being spotted playing for St Eugene&aposs Boys by Eddie Davis, who arranged for a trial with Boro.

Nicknamed “Narker”, he made his debut in a 2-0 win at Newcastle in 1952 and went on to make 13 appearances and score three goals before moving to Bournemouth in 1955.

Most of his eight seasons with Boro were spent in the reserves.

However he became one of the most talked about players in England in 1957 when he was part of the Bournemouth side that reached the FA Cup quarter-final, beating Danny Blanchlower’s Spurs and Billy Wright’s Wolves before losing 2-1 to Manchester United.

He later played for Northampton and Rochdale and managed Gloucester City before moving to Australia, where he worked as a coach for the Australian Soccer Federation.

After moving Down Under he continued to play and coach and he played a part in the early career of Mark Viduka, who went on to become a Boro and Socceroos legend.

BORO have reported that limited places are still available for the Father&aposs Day lunch at the Riverside on Sunday.

Prices are £25 for adults and £12.50 for children for a three-course lunch plus coffee and mints.

A tour of the stadium is included and there is a gift for each dad attending.


Coaching.

I specialise in sparking radical transformation in the lives of artists, athletes and entrepreneurs who find themselves at a crossroads in life. I work with flow states, initiation practices and deep enquiry so that you can bring forth the possibilities, synergies and clarity to shift lanes and begin the next chapter of your life.

Working with me, typically, is not a long-term commitment. It will usually only be 1 or 2 sessions that are be needed to really get things moving for you. However, if what emerges for you is the vision for a new brand or venture, you may wish to engage me further to help you find the right words to share your new purpose with the world. I never assume that I will be the right fit for you, or you for me, so before we work together we’ll have a free discovery call of up to 45mins to map the terrain and get clear on if/how we can serve each other.


George Hardwick - History

George Francis Moutry Hardwick, the son of an electrician and a schoolmistress, was born at Saltburn on February 2 1920 many of his forebears were Scottish smugglers. He weighed 12lb at birth.

His father was employed by Pease and Partners, and worked in an ironstone pit on the edge of the Yorkshire moors. When the pit closed he lost his job. "Everyone was unemployed," George remembered. "My mother and father went without food so that I would have enough to eat. I remember getting up with my father at 3am to go out in the fields gathering mushrooms. That was our meal for the day. My grandfather on my mother's side was an engine driver. He was still in work, and he and his associates used to collect old children's clothes, shoes, boots, anything, and pass it on to us. Mother tore apart old woollen jumpers to re-knit them as red and white jerseys and stockings for us to play football in."
Hardwick signed for Middlesbrough (for a 5 fee) in April 1937, scoring an own goal on his debut. The outbreak of war saw him join the RAF while training as an air gunner, he was nearly killed during a Luftwaffe attack on his base in Bedfordshire. He then became a sergeant in RAF Bomber Command.
During the war he turned out for Chelsea, appearing in two wartime Wembley cup finals he also played 17 wartime internationals for England, games which did not earn a full cap and were intended as morale-boosting exercises. Once, playing for Chelsea against Fulham, the sirens were sounded in the middle of the match all the players threw themselves flat on the ground: "The Germans bombed the other side of the river, and the referee blew his whistle to carry on." After the war, Chelsea wanted to sign Hardwick from Middlesbrough the Chelsea chairman travelled to Teesside, placed a blank cheque in front of his opposite number and invited him to fill it in. Middlesbrough declined.

At Hampden Park in 1947, Hardwick captained Great Britain against a FIFA side, Great Britain winning 6-1. In all he went on to make 166 appearances for Middlesbrough, scoring five goals. In November 1950 he was transferred to Oldham Athletic, for whom, as player-manager, he made 190 appearances and scored 14 times. After retiring as a player, Hardwick coached the United States 7th Army in Germany he then coached PSV Eindhoven (1957-59) and the Dutch national side (1959-61), before rejoining Middlesbrough as youth team coach.

In November 1964 Hardwick was appointed manager of Sunderland. Despite guiding the Wearside club to what was then their highest post-war position, he was sacked after only 169 days. During this period he started Brian Clough on his managerial career, by appointing him coach to the youth team. Hardwick never, of course, knew the lifestyle enjoyed by today's successful footballers. But he was a handsome man, and was friendly with actresses such as Kay Kendall, Shirley Eaton, Margaret Lockwood and Ava Gardner.

He was guest of honour at Wembley when England lost 2-0 to France in February 1999, and was not impressed by what he saw: "By God, they played without an atom of pride. I've never seen 11 players with less guts. My players would have walked home if they'd played like that." He added: "For the players, it's all too quick and easy now. For us it was about pride. I wanted to be somebody, so I worked for it."

He is survived by his second wife Jennifer (née Totterdell) they were together for 36 years and married in 1983. From his previous marriage he had two sons, who survive him. - The Telegraph obituary


History of Sodomy Laws

The Sensibilities of Our Forefathers, the definitive legal history of sodomy laws in the United States by George Painter. It puts everything else here to shame.

Survey of Key Developments Worldwide by Alan Freeman

Other history articles

The proscription of sodomy in the English tradition began in 1533 when King Henry VIII adopted contemporary church doctrine into a system of laws at the time of the English withdrawal from the Catholic Church. Sodomy became both a sin and a crime, since ecclesiastical law recognizes no distinction between the concepts of "sin" and "crime." Sodomy included any form of non-procreative acts including masturbation, oral and anal sex.

The original thirteen American colonies derived their laws from the English common law and continued the legal tradition in which sodomy carried the penalty of death.

The 1683 Pennsylvania law called sodomy an "unnatural sin" and the East New Jersey law listed it among the "Offenses against God."

Every state adopted some form of a sodomy law as it joined the United States, either in acceptance of an unwritten common law or in formal codification. A slow modernization of laws away from a religious doctrine into a secular system reduced penalties over time in a piece meal fashion. All states had laws against sodomy by 1960.

The 1955 edition of the American Law Institute’s model penal code omitted sodomy laws for the first time. In 1961, the Illinois legislature revised their criminal code without prohibiting sodomy. The law went into effect in 1962 without fanfare.

Idaho was the second state to repeal its sodomy law through a general modernization of its laws. According to Dr. Franklin E. Kameny, the يدافع عن, then a gay newspaper, ran a headline celebrating the repeal. This came to the attention of Idaho state legislators who called an emergency session "into which they marched waving copies of the يدافع عن." The legislature repealed the just enacted modern criminal code. Connecticut was the next state to repeal its sodomy law in 1971 in a modernization of the penal code. Twenty-one other states followed suit. Gay activists had little or no involvement with most of these repeals. In fact, many of the states that repealed their laws are just beginning to form organizations that can lobby effectively for their rights.

Exceptions that trend came from California, Minnesota, New York and DC. Gay Activists in these places began explicit gay rights campaigns to repeal their sodomy laws. California was the only one of these states to successfully repeal its law prior to 1980.

California’s sodomy repeal effort began in 1969 with urging from Morris Kight, Rev. Troy Perry and others. The repeal bill was introduced to the California legislature starting in 1969 by Assemblyman Willie Brown, and every year afterwards until its passage in 1975. In 1975, the liberal Democratic state Senate Majority Leader, George Moscone — running for Mayor of San Francisco — twisted many arms for its passage. The Senate deadlocked on a 20-20 vote, Moscone locked the chamber doors, until Lieutenant Governor Merv Dymallyin could fly back from Denver and cast the tie-breaking vote. It was signed into law by Gov. Jerry Brown.

Moscone’s efforts won the support of the large gay population of San Francisco and Moscone beat Diane Feinstein in the primary, and edged out city superintendent John Barbagelata to become the first liberal mayor of San Francisco. Moscone was later assassinated by former supervisor Dan White along with the first gay supervisor, Harvey Milk. Brown and Feinstein later became Mayors and Feinstein is currently a US Senator from California.

In the late 1970’s and early 1980’s the growing strength and politicization of religious extremists significantly slowed the repeal efforts. The awaking of religious political extremists led to at least two states to enact specifically anti-gay sodomy laws at the same time as they otherwise modernized their criminal codes. Kentucky enacted a homosexual-only sodomy law in 1974. Arkansas did the same in 1977 with the approval of then state Attorney General Bill Clinton.

The Kentucky law was declared unconstitutional in Commonwealth v. Wasson under the equal protection and privacy rights of the Kentucky constitution. The Arkansas law is currently being challenged.

At the same time, the AIDS crisis took the fledgling gay political community away from gay rights issues, including sodomy repeal, and focused the efforts on care, treatment and other more immediate needs of people with HIV and AIDS.

Courts and lawmakers withdrew from repeal efforts in light of the potential criticism of promoting homosexual sex at a time that the HIV transmission modes were becoming known. Transmission of HIV through anal sex was a major factor blocking the 1987 Minnesota repeal bill.

In 1986 باورز ضد هاردويك was decided by the US Supreme Court and sparked a resurgence of interest in sodomy laws.

Michael Hardwick was a bartender in a gay bar in Atlanta, Georgia who was targeted by a police officer for harassment. In 1982, an unknowing houseguest let the officer let into Hardwick’s home the officer went to the bedroom where Hardwick was engaged in sex with his partner. The men were arrested on the charge of sodomy. Charges were later dropped, but Hardwick brought the case forward with the purpose of having the sodomy law declared unconstitutional.

التعريشات was a response to a particularly insulting police action and repeal advocates had hoped that the case would put an end to sodomy laws in the United States when it reached the Supreme Court. Unfortunately, the 5-4 decision found that nothing in the Constitution "would extend a fundamental right to homosexuals to engage in acts of consensual sodomy."

Justice Lewis Powell was the swing vote in the decision, switching from supporting invalidating all sodomy laws to denying homosexuals any right of privacy. In October of 1990, three years after his retirement, Powell told a group of New York University Law students, "I think I probably made a mistake in that one." He told the National Law Journal, "That case was not a major case, and one of the reasons I voted the way I did was the case was a frivolous case" brought "just to see what the court would do" on the subject. A more callous opinion is hard to imagine. As AIDS services became institutionalized and the benefits of direct action on AIDS issues waned, activists in the 1990’s returned to gay issues and sodomy repeal efforts were again successful.

منذ التعريشات decision two states, Nevada and Rhode Island, and the District of Columbia have repealed their laws. In all three successful efforts there was an explicit goal by mostly gay activists to repeal the law, in contrast to the code modernization of earlier efforts. Repeal advocates in other states also launched or continued to introduce repeal legislation.

In Washington, DC, activists had been successful in 1981 in passing the Sexual Assault Reform bill, which modernized DC’s law on sex crimes. The bill passed the DC Council and was signed by then Mayor Marion Barry. The US Congress controls all of DC legislation bowing to anti-gay sentiment led by Jerry Fawell in a national campaign, killed the entire bill. New legislation was introduced every year starting in 1982 but it languished in the Judiciary Committee controlled by Wilhelmina Rolark.

In February 1992, a raid on a private gay club, the Follies Theater, resulting in 14 arrests㬇 on sodomy charges—sparked the gay community to focus efforts on repealing the sodomy law once again.

A separate arrest in 1992 of two men engaging in consensual sex in their car parked in DC also evoked community outrage. The two fought the law in court before a jury and essentially admitted to the act in court, but argued that they had not done anything that should be criminalized. The jury agreed and neutralized the law in their case.

A group of repeal activists from the direct action group Queer Nation turned themselves in to the police for committing sodomy in the District. The police, shocked by this action, were left scrambling for a response. They eventually took sworn statements from 3 couples who could testify that they had committed sodomy with each other. No arrests were made and no one was prosecuted.

Facing considerable public opposition to the arrests, Mayor Sharon Pratt Kelly ordered the police chief to stop enforcing the law against consenting adults.

An amendment to an unrelated bill to reform the law was proposed in 1992 but defeated by the DC Council.

Mayor Marion Barry’s unrelated personal and legal problems resulted in a 6-month jail term for crack cocaine possession. He had declined to run for Mayor in 1990, but in 1992 ran for City Council against Rolark. Rolark was defeated and in 1993, with a shift in committee chairs, the bill was introduced to the City Council.

Hearings on the bill lasted for nearly 9 hours without a break and were almost completely dominated by gay activists. Dr. Kameny, representing the Traditional Values Coalition of Washington, DC and the Mattachine Society, opened the hearing with strong testimony in favor of the bill. Kameny, who had worked for repeal of the law for more that 30 years, testified that sodomy should be legalized and considered "good, moral, and rewarding."

Kameny had incorporated Traditional Values Coalition in DC forcing the national anti-gay activist group to be identified as being from California where they are incorporated, significantly diminishing their impact on the locally elected officials. Most of the opposition testimony came from local Baptist ministers but they, and a Catholic official, admitted that they were most concerned about public sex which the sodomy-reform bill would not have legalized.

The reform bill, written by Kameny, stated simply "No act engaged in only by consenting persons 16 years of age or older shall constitute an offense under this section." Kameny had wanted to simultaneously repeal the adultery, fornication and similar laws, but met with opposition from DC Council members. The bill passed the Council unanimously and Mayor Kelly signed it in a public ceremony.

Representatives of national gay rights groups—including the Human Rights Campaign Fund, the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force and the Campaign for Military Service—asked DC activists to delay sending the reform bill to Congress for approval, saying that the gays in the military fight strained their resources. The DC activists refused. Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA) asked the Republican leadership in the Senate not to support an amendment drafted by Sen. Jesse Helms (R-NC) and they, not wishing another fight on gay sexuality, complied, allowing the reform bill to become law.

The sodomy law was repealed completely in 1995 with the passage of the Sexual Assault Reform bill that finally modernized the DC criminal code.

After the Nevada Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of the Nevada gay-only sodomy law, the legislature in 1993 amended the law making four major changes.

The bill made oral and anal sex criminal only when performed in public and removed the qualification that made it apply only to acts committed between adults of the same-sex. The archaic, offensive and vague language "infamous crimes against nature" was replaced with "anal intercourse, cunnilingus, or fellatio." And the section stating that "any sex penetration, however slight is sufficient to complete the crime against nature" was removed, as it was no longer meaningful with the new language.

Nevada, unlike DC, benefited from the strategy of amending the sodomy law into a public sex law. By expanding reform of the law that only prohibited homosexual acts into a wider issue, the anti-gay activists were blunted.

The Rhode Island Supreme Court failed to overturn the state’s "Abominable and Detestable Crime Against Nature" law in four separate cases from 1962 through 1985. A reform bill was introduced in 1984 by Rep. John Harwood, a Democrat who later became Speaker of the House. The reformed law would have allowed "private, consensual sexual acts between adults." It was in response to sexual misconduct by police at a bachelor party and was not sought for the protection of gay and lesbian people. The bill passed the House, but was blocked by the Senate.

Jorge Lopes was charged with sexual assault after a woman accused him of forcing her to submit to vaginal, anal, and oral sex. Lopes testified that they had sex, but he argued that it was consensual. The jury believed him, acquitting him of sexual assault but, acting on instructions from the judge, found him guilty of committing an abominable and detestable crime against nature. The Supreme Court, in State of Rhode Island v. Jorge Lopes, upheld the decision but did not rule on the law’s constitutionality. Lopes was given a 10-year suspended sentence with 10 years probation. و

In frustration with the state Supreme Court’s pro-sodomy law opinions, repeal activists started to introduce their own legislation. But they failed to repeal the sodomy law until 1998.

In September 1997, North Smithfield, Rhode Island police tried to make a case against two men who had allegedly committed consensual sex in the woods near Route 146.

The incident came to light when one of the two men went to the police to complain that his wallet was stolen during the sexual encounter, and the police charged both men – the alleged thief and his alleged victim – with "abominable and detestable crime(s) against nature." Attorney General Jeffrey B. Pine declined to prosecute.

The case received considerable attention in the press and led to resurgence in support for legislative repeal.

Added to the repeal efforts was Superior Court Judge Frank Williams’ decision in the Block Island rape trial, which threw out the sodomy charge and acquitted Edward F. McGovern, a prominent politician in New Shorem, and his co-defendants of sexual assault charges. Williams ruled that the Rhode Island sodomy law violates the equal-protection clause of the state Constitution because it treats married and unmarried couples differently. The Attorney General declined to appeal, but repeal advocates feared that the decision would be overturned by the state Supreme Court.

Repeal advocates turned away from the court as a possible avenue and began introducing repeal legislation in 1992. Finding the legislature to be unready to pass the bill, votes were not called for six years. The bill was even withdrawn in 1995, so as not to interfere with the passage of the non-discrimination law that passed that year. The House Judiciary committee did hold a hearing in 1996, but the bill did not move forward.

The repeal bill’s House sponsor, Rep. Edith Ajello—strategizing with gay and lesbian rights activists—finally thought that passage was a possibility in 1998. On May 7, 1998 the repeal bill passed the Rhode Island House on a vote of 49 to 40. The Rhode Island Senate voted 26 to 17 on June 2, 1998 to repeal the law. Republican Governor Lincoln Almond signed the bill into law.


From Christopher Hardwick

Yours of the 8th Instant Came to hand the 20th1. I wou’d have wrote to you as often as you Desire, but that I have nothing material to Mention so often to write to you about, neither have I at this time any agreeable News or acct to Send to you in regard to our Crop the Weather being so excessive Dry, had not one Shower of rain since my Last Letter to you ’till Sunday last,2 makes me fear it will be but a poor Crop, tho. Better with you than with any other in our Neighbourhood, our last planting is but very small by the Drought & a great deal of it burnt up—According to your Directions I have sent the Mare with her four Colts to Mount Vernon, & wrote to John Alton to take particular Care of them,3 I shall have the Wheat Threshed out as soon as possible, people won’t ⟨ mutilated ⟩ hired to thresh at this Time, nor can I spare any of our own people ⟨ mutilated ⟩o it, as yet, Please to let me know what Quantity of wheat you’l have Sowed this year, your people are all well, I have nothing else material to Mention but am with due Respect Sir your most Humble & Obedient Servant

ملاحظة. Sir please to write to me by the first opportunity concerning the Wheat.

1. GW’s letter of 8 Aug. has not been found.

2. The most recent letter found from Hardwick is dated 3 August.

3. See Humphrey Knight to GW, 24 Aug., for the arrival of the mare and colts at Mount Vernon on 23 August.


شاهد الفيديو: BAMMA 30: Blaine ODriscoll vs Harry Hardwick